Sunday, December 23, 2012

Caramel Popcorn - Liquified

It's been a really long time since I've made anything out of the alinea cookbook - and so I woke up this morning with the goal to make something out of it that:

A) I had all of the equipment/ chemicals for
B) I hadn't ever tried before
C) I could get done in one day

After flipping through and going straight to the winter section (who doesn't love seasonal crap!) I found a recipe for liquefied caramel popcorn that was super easy and would take, like, half an hour tops.



Popcorn:
12.5g canola oil
50g popcorn kernels
3.5g kosher salt
45g butter
37.5g sugar
375g water


Heat the oil in a large hemispherical bowl until lightly smoking; then, add the popcorn and cover. Shake the bowl constantly and until the popcorn is no longer popping. Combine the popcorn with the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes and strain through a fine mesh sieve while pushing the liquid out of the popcorn using a spoon or ladle. Blend the pushed liquid for 3 minutes or until smooth and reserve.


Caramel Froth:
250g sugar
75g water
125g water
75g simple syrup
5g soy lecithin

Heat the sugar and the 75g of water in a small saucepan to 340F without stirring. Then, add the remaining water along with the simple syrup and whisk until smooth. Let cool to room temperature and add the soy lecithin. Blend until frothy.


To complete:

Pour approximately one ounce of warm popcorn broth into a glencairn or shot glass and spoon some caramel froth on top.


As far as this salty sweet dessert goes: less is more. If you portion it so that you get one biggish sip, minds are blown and everyone wants more. Obviously since I made a bunch just for myself I took more than my fair share and it starts to become sickly sweet - so don't fall into the same fate as me and stick to one portion.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment