Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Laphroaig Project

For my first ever post I had a difficult time deciding what to write about... since I have an (almost) equal love of food, scotches, and cocktails it really could have gone either way BUT since my favorite cocktail also involves scotch and because its pretty much as close to cocktail perfection as it comes (at least for my palate anyways) here's the Laphroaig project!

A Bourbon and Branch original, I'm kind of disappointed I never had one there while I was living in San Francisco for the last few years. After discovering the ingredients list I shifted my focus try and acquire all of the parts to this as soon as possible - I really do think its got "project" in the name because nobody has ever got all of the ingredients for it.

 
 
The Laphroaig Project
1 oz lemon juice
1 oz green chartreuse
1/2 oz maraschino liqueur
1/2 + 1/8 oz laphroaig quarter cask
1/4 oz yellow chartreuse
2 dashes peach bitters
 
Combine all of the ingredients and shake together. Strain into a low ball glass with ice and garnish with a twist of lemon.
 
 
 
 
The flavors combine and hang together in a delicate balance. There's the tartness from lemon, funky and slightly sweet from the luxardo, so many different floral and herbal notes from the combination of chartreuse's and some fruit from the peach bitters. Oh yeah, and the Laphroaig. Super smokey and peated, the Laphroaig transports you to cabin in the woods where you can feel the leather in the big ass chair your sitting on and the roughness of all of the wooden shit around you. You smell the steel from the gun racks and there is nowhere else you'd rather be.
 
One of the most satisfying aspects of this drink is that while you can actually taste every single thing that you started with, the resulting combination is so layered and complex.
 
Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment